A lot of people have contacted me to talk about developing a website for their business or organization. I’ve completed websites for probably 20% of them. There are all kinds of reasons that the other 80% of those projects never go anywhere.
Some of the projects actually get started, but are derailed for one reason or another. My favorite was a lady who wanted a website for the home decor business that she ran out of her home. We were three weeks into the design before it became apparent that she didn’t actually own a computer, much less an internet connection. I went so far as to print out some prototype webpages, stuff them into an envelope and mail them to her. But it didn’t take much of that to realize that this wasn’t going to work. She had a strong sense that a good website would help her business, but I was able to convince her that she needed to be on the internet before she could take advantage of the internet.
Most projects never even get off the ground, however. The common thread seems to be that customers appear to lose interest in a project once they discover how much work it involves – for them. They don’t realize that they need to supply most of the content on their website. I can edit, elaborate, enhance and amplify, but I can’t make up things about your business or organization. You have to have something to say before you start a conversation.